Delicatessen in Alverton Street in 1950's/60's

Tropicgal

Janner/ Senior Member
Does anyone remember a delicatessen in Alverton Street back in the 1950's/60's??? I seem to remember one on the left just as you left the Greenmarket, it was open to the elements it had pheasants hanging up and tiled counters out to onto the pavement. I've mentioned this to others and no one seems to remember it. I thought it was called Graves, Delicatessen or am I imagining it???

welb1931

Hi, what you are refering to was also a fishmonger who displayed the game outside...cant recall the name they were next
to N.J.Halls...further down alverton there was Harry Perry's pork butcher noted for their ham,tongue, brawn and sausages
I can remember the aroma....delightfull !!

Harry Perry's pork butchers

Harry Perry was, I think, my great-great uncle. He'd died quite some years before we used to go to the shop to help put sausages in their skins for Auntie Hilda (who would have been Harry's daughter and ran the shop - but I should really check our family tree) in the 1960s. We had dinner in the room above the shop sometimes - where there was always a huge amount of different kinds of pork, including hogs pudding, of course. I was only young then, but can remember it well. The highlight being when I helped my brothers with the sausage-making, using a fascinating-looking machine of some kind.
I believe the Perry's were quite well known from the early 1900s as pork butchers in the area and one of them, whose name I can't remember right now, was an alderman around the time of the Boer War - I still have the silver tea set in a case he was given by the people of Penzance to mark the occasion.
I just wish I knew how to make those delicious pork products where I currently live (not the UK)!

Top Bottom