Recommended DSLR camera equipment: FILTERS

Planet Penwith

Super User
Filters:

There are loads of different filters for different uses and effects. I personally recommend using the following three types, these should suffice for anyone wishing to improve their image taking. I also use a fourth, an infra red filter.

Circular polariser
A polarizing filter, used both in color and black and white photography, filters out light polarized perpendicularly to the axis of the filter. This has two applications in photography: it reduces reflections from some surfaces (water etc.), and it can darken the sky.

Ultra Violet
A UV filter in photography is transparent to visible light, and so can be left on the lens for nearly all shots. UV filters are among the least expensive filters, so many people use them as protection for their lenses, although this may not be effective. For this purpose they are preferred over other kinds of filters which are more intrusive, such as neutral density filters.
The UV filter absorbs ultraviolet rays without changing the exposure. With most images, people will not see a difference when a UV filter is used. However, UV filters (in particular filters lacking coating) may introduce flaring and have negative impact on contrast and sharpness, especially when a strong light source is present. The reason I have this one is for protecting the lens front.

Neutral Density or ND
The purpose of neutral density filters is to allow the photographer greater flexibility to change the aperture, exposure time and/or blur of subject in different situations and atmospheric conditions. Examples of this use include:
  • Blurring water motion (e.g. waterfalls, rivers, oceans).
  • Reducing depth of field in very bright light (i.e. daylight).
  • When using a flash on a camera with a focal-plane shutter exposure time is limited to the maximum speed -often 1/250th of a second, at best- at which the entire film or sensor is exposed to light at one instant. Without an ND filter this can result in the need to use f8 or higher.
  • Using a wider aperture to stay below the diffraction limit.
  • Reduce the visibility of moving objects
  • Add motion blur to subjects

Hope that helps with some filters

Last edited:

tabtab13

That's interesting stuff Myke - I like your infra red shots and your b/w stuff is outstanding.

Do you rely much on PhotoShop in your work or find that the right camera with the right filter and the right know how is more that adequate?

Planet Penwith

Super User
RE: Photoshop

Hi Tab,

Well mate, I personally see Photoshop as a good thing. There are 2 schools of thought...those who use it and those who prefer to get the shot (exposure, etc.) right in camera without the use of enhancements. I keep the use of Photoshop to a minimum but I still like to "rescue" a shot using PS and the in camera B&W conversation isn't as flexible or as good as PS can give you.....its a personal thing I suppose mate. I would advise people to get to know how to use PS, but that's me :) I mean, why delete a well framed photo when you can rescue it in PS? I never delete any photos while I'm out with the camera, I wait til I get back, put the comp on and then see if I can do something with it...Does that help? Ask me anything mate...see if I can help you

people out there who are the old school and avoid it like the plague, preferring to get it right in the camera. Which is good too, but if you're learning (like me) and want some confidence boosting then use Photoshop to help you enhance your work

Top Bottom