The fate of Picture Penzance

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Picture Penzance is fast approaching 5 years old and it begs the question what do we do with it now.
When we started Picture Penzance our aim was to secure as many “old” photos of Penzance as possible. Naturally we gathered valuable information with significant historical interest and a large database of members along the way.
All of this has been a fantastic achievement and one or two members gave much more to Picture Penzance that we could ever repay… (You know who you are).
Going back to my original question then. What now? What should we do with Picture Penzance?
At the moment Picture Penzance is a non-profit organisation and has three directors Jason, Tracey and myself.
Should Picture Penzance take on a new role? Define the role it already has and clarify those roles? Should it become a charity and seek funds and put together a trust?

What are your thoughts please. Let’s have them good, bad or ugly I want to hear what you have to say.

penzancesailor

Definitely stick to the original brief of gathering images of old Penzance/Penwith. I echo your thanks to the members who have contributed so greatly to the vast amount of material we are able to access on this site. And thanks of course to yourselves, the Barnes family.

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you for your kind words Penzancesailor we do try to please where we can, and I must admit we do love what we have created as the website has helped so many people in regards to research, finding old friends who have lost contact, schools, newspapers have even read and used some of our topics/threads and above all we are creating a service to the community.
and we have met some lovely people along the way and listening to their stories of the past and with their added photo's just makes it that more interesting.

looking forward to seeing what our members think (good or bad) and many thanks for your time in replying to this thread x

46traveller

Small Grumble

Hi folks,
the site is a fantastic source of local history and items of interest. One thing I personally miss are the many discussions that used to last for days between members. Now it seems any that are posted disappear within hours, buried under questions and answers from the different quiz's. Could there not be a special section for the quiz's, as there is for pictures etc ? Leaving the sidebar free for more articles and discussions please...................

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
Hi folks,
the site is a fantastic source of local history and items of interest. One thing I personally miss are the many discussions that used to last for days between members. Now it seems any that are posted disappear within hours, buried under questions and answers from the different quiz's. Could there not be a special section for the quiz's, as there is for pictures etc ? Leaving the sidebar free for more articles and discussions please...................

I think the posts in the forum are as and when new things /discussions are posted and in regards to the quizes answers then the discussions are superseeded with the members answers/replies from the quiz, but I get what you mean will see if the quizzes can be moved to their own area (Games tab) a bit like the mystery pic game and the photo comp where you have to pull the tab down and click on the area that you wish to enter.
Thank you for your input 46traveller will see if this can be done?::15:

oldpenwithian

Picture Penzance is fast approaching 5 years old and it begs the question what do we do with it now.

What are your thoughts please. Let’s have them good, bad or ugly I want to hear what you have to say.

The original brief of building an archive of images and other memorabilia of old Penzance was what attracted me to "Picture Penzance" but I do like the way the site has developed. It became more inclusive when the area of interest was extended to Penwith. It provides a very useful forum for discussion and the quizes and photo. competition are interesting and enjoyable extras for those who wish to take part. I do agree with 46traveller's comment about giving quiz questions and answers their own section but all in all a very successful website. The old adage comes to mind "If it ain't broke don't fix it" [perhaps just give it the odd 'tweak']

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Hi folks,

Yes that can be done. I have some other projects I need to finish off and then I will work on this for you. I have been meaning to create a quiz script to make the quizes easier for members to create.

46traveller

Thanks For Listening

It's a great site folks, I check it at least twice a day, ok so sometimes I don't sign in, but always check to see if I have missed something. Please don't get me wrong, the quiz's are a good addition to the site, which to my mind has blossomed over the last year what with the photo comps etc. It has taken on a more "something for everyone" feeling, thanks to everyone concerned in the running, and great stuff contributors, keep it rolling.

Planet Penwith

Super User
Id like to able to create photo album folders within photo album folders. And be able to delete albums you no longer need or want. How does that sound?

ChrisTru

All-powerful
Apart from the photos I put in the wildlife section, the others go into memebers categories, but i can't seem to make a category of my own, where all my pics are in one place!

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
For those of you who may not know, we are raising funds for a new gallery software (hoping to raise £170 by selling items through the buy sell swap sites on face book) that we are looking to purchase in the New Year. This will enable us to post pics to face book along with any comments, also from using I phones etc, all of which we used to do with this currant software. So I hear you asking why is this software not working? Well in a nut shell the software company wants £300 of us to pay for support and various updates, and although this was considered part of the software when we first went to this company, they now want this as an extra…we just haven’t got the funds to pay out, so HH has been on the lookout for similar software (cheaper of course) and one which will give us the support and upgrades for free. When the new software is brought you will hopefully have the option to upload your pics in order as you see fit, put your pics under different categories, make your own category, we are hoping that this new software will do a lot more and actually when the bots come to visit our site our pics will get indexed and hopefully will get onto Google, as at the moment there are not many seeing as we been going for 4 years, this isn’t right.

I hope that I have answered some of your concerns, and no doubt HH will be on later to update or to give more info as he is the one in the know!, Thank you to everyone who has commented on this thread and we value your input, as without you our website would not be what it is today, THANK YOU XX::15:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
@ Myke you can already create photo albums within photo albums.
Deletions of albums are by request because members have accidentally deleted albums and there is no way of getting them back once they've gone. Anyone requesting deletion of albums will have the request honoured once they realise the destructiveness of the request ::15:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
@ChriTru the way the gallery works is that all pictures uploaded by members are added to their members area regardless if they added them to a category or not.
Although when Picture Penzance was first started it was focused on old images and history, whereas today the main use for uploading is members pictures.
The gallery really needs to be modernised to take this in to account and we are working on some ideas that will help promote members pictures. Personally I would like to see something along the lines of Flikr.
Obviously it's the members who need to give the input here so that we can make one wicked gallery. ::15:
I am listening :)

Top Bottom