What will the future of Penzance and Newlyn look like? You decide!

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Hitler promised there would be 'work for all'
he also achieved this by reducing the population through sanitation. I don't think it would just be a labour; I guess there's not that many on the dole who are trained to use the machinery necessary to do this job. It would be very expensive altogether and would take too long to recover the initial investment. Other problems come to mind like flood defence, roots from trees and with fire regulations as they are you would probably need more than one exit/entrance because of all the flammable liquids in the underground car park... and that would add to the over ground footprint once you include an approach road as well.

Last edited:

treeve

Major Contributor
The geology of Penwith (Penzance and Mount's Bay shore) ensures underground car parks are not really possible, This was explored when I worked on the original scheme with Geoffrey Drewitt. The lowest sensible level is as has been conducted in the Wharfside Scheme. Costs become prohibitive, and the side effects on settlement of existing buildings would eventually achieve the same effect as Betjamen's friendly bombs.

tabtab13

Ah - ok, fair enough.

By the way, the reference (a bit glib perhaps) was to put the idea into a historical context seeing as the building industry today is in problems and there are a large number of people out of work. Sometimes looking back can help when looking to the future. I mention that, as you pulled Hitler out as a quote, HH, and I wouldn't want anyone to think my politics are suspect - to say the least.

treeve

Major Contributor
Quite; coming from a generation that created monsters and others faced them, my blood runs cold, having been to Auschwitz, through the bitter irony of the 'Arbeit macht frei' gates, through the corridors of gold teeth, empty suitcases, piles of spectacles, and on into the death chambers, and most horrific - the ovens. I am cynical about much in the way of glorious promises ... Mussolini made the trains run on time, for example; on a lesser scale, having read through local authority promises to London flats, and in consult discovering the lies, seeing the manipulations of barristers and seedy solicitors with hidden agendas, I tend to take a lot of it with a pinch of salt. Basically Trust No-One in regard to such matters. How about that for a thread hijack?

Last edited:
Top Bottom