A letter from Michell and son Penzance 1947

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
This letter was discovered by Trevor Whelan. It was passed to him by his late father. Trevor contacted Picture Penzance and asked if we would like a cop of it. He would also like to know if anyone has anything to add to this please.

31 and 31a Alverton,

Penzance,

January, 1947.

Dear Madam,

With the return of better supplies and more normal trading conditions to which we are looking forward we feel that the present is an opportune time to revive our pre-war custom of giving a discount to our customers on their cash purchase's.
In the past this was done at the time the goods were purchased. The discount given being 6d. in the £, fractions of a £ such as a half (10/-) or a quarter (5/-) not counting at all.
In future we shall give a substantial discount we anticipate being able to make it considerably more than the 6d. in the £ to all our customers who give their names and addresses to the assistant who serves them. This discount will be paid out once a year, on all cash purchases made by the customer during the previous twelve months. You will not be required to call and collect your discount, it will be sent you by cheque during the first week of February each year.
This scheme is coming into operation on the 1st February this year (1947). And the first discount (covering all your purchases both large and small) from this date up to January 31st, 1948, will be paid out to you during the first seven days of February, 1948. The advantage of this scheme to you is that every item you purchase, large or small, is going to swell your total discount, not just the articles of £1 or over. All you have to do is tell the assistant who serves you that you would like to have your discount, and we will see that an account of all your cash purchases is kept and the discount sent you by post. This, of course, applies to cash purchases only. We regret we cannot give discount on credit accounts.

We are, Madam,
Yours faithfully,
A. H. MICHELL & SONS,

A little background to this letter might be of interest.

My father was evacuated to Penzance from London during WW2, around 1941/2 I believe. His foster parents were George and Ivy Osborne of Penalverne Place and they stayed in touch for the rest of their lives. The letter from A.H. Michell was found in a box containing a small electrical voltmeter and I am assuming that the letter was originally sent to Mrs Osborne. It appears to have been subsequently re-used as scrap paper as there are some brief notes on the reverse pertaining to HT leads on a motor vehicle! Mrs Osborne must have given the voltmeter to my father along with other items when she moved from Penalverne Place into a care home.

I confess that this is really the only family link to Penzance as many of the family moved out to Hertfordshire from London. However, I made two visits to the town in the 1970s to photograph the railway and I'm long overdue for a return visit. Perhaps in 2012...

Top Bottom