Anna Peel

treeve

Major Contributor
I have been through all the 211 pictures of Market Jew Street, and cannot see one for the early 1960s that shows John Fry's shop next to the Wimpy Bar. The building would have been new then, built before the infamous Tesco building. I have another lead, and will track that but, Please does anyone have a picture of Lower Market Jew Street around 1960. In fact it would be good to have a picture at that date of the building in any case.

southwestdj

hi if you go to the cornishman office they may have some old photos as the shop was a music instrument shop and when the old gas works were knocked down they took pictures of the wimpy bar ,john frys,and another shop that opened then

treeve

Major Contributor
Thanks, I am unsure of the issue of copyright and use on this site, always assuming the Cornishman have a picture of John Fry's. It was a very slick frontage, the dark entrance picked out inside with spotlights and floods. The imposing enlargement of the wreck of Jeune Hortense as a backdrop for the desk.

treeve

Major Contributor
Geoff Marshall was the front man in John Fry's when I hung around with groups and musicians and when Geoff opened the camera outlet in Causewayhead, I used to go there for materials and equipment. I only saw Geoff today, actually, he has a flat and studio there above the camera shop. The whole building is his actually.

trepolpen

Major Contributor
I remember Jim King, jazz drummer par excellence, a slim man who sported a small goatee beard and who also worked in John Fry and use to give me tips on drumming. I believe he passed on many years ago now. I can visualise the John Fry premises extremely well myself.

Top Bottom