Cornwall Council puts cuts under spotlight

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
View attachment 231
Proposals on how Cornwall Council can save up to £110m are to be examined in detail.
The council's overview and scrutiny committees will discuss the cuts ahead of a meeting of the full council on 30 November.
The overall plan, which is expected to lead to 2,000 job losses, has already been approved by the council's cabinet.
The meeting at the end of November will be broadcast live on the county council's website.
The council said it had already made substantial savings in its budget over the past 18 months.
Management costs have been reduced with more than £2m saved by reducing the number of chief executive posts from seven to one, and the number of directors from 33 to five, it said.
It had also reduced the amount it spends on consultants by 30% or £5m over the past two years.
But front line services such as adult social care, libraries and leisure centres face cuts of £10m.
Council Leader Alec Robertson said: "We worked extremely hard to find every possible way of cutting costs while reducing the impact on front line services.
"Unfortunately, although we managed to find £100m through restructuring and efficiency savings, this still left a shortfall of £10m which will have to come from front line services".

Article BBC News

46traveller

£10 million is peanuts to any Council, this action is just B.S. and is being used as an excuse to raise taxes in the County. Yeah, they think you won't complain if you believe that they really do need it for frontline services. If there isn't a mass protest over the increases, we will have been mugged again, and they will keep mugging us until WE say "NO MORE". All Councils round the Country are playing this card now, trying to explain why they need to increase taxes. The gov is putting the vat rate up, just how much more BS.the people of this island are prepared to take while they watch Eastenders and Emmerdale in ignorance is truly beyond belief. Meanwhile the French are fed up on their side and are striking and organising a mass protest on December 7th, to withdraw their money from the Banks, to show the money mad bankers what they think of their profits. Whilst in true New British style, most folk will take the wrong pill and check out the TV times. More is needed to stop the rot, this is one fight where "A stiff upper lip" is not enough.
For those that ask, "well what are you doing about it" I'm off to London on the 20th November with a few thousand other like minded souls to protest about the current state of this nation, and to let the government know that they are a bunch of money grabbing b^$T@£ds, and I've had enough.

PS Guy Fawkes was right.

treeve

Major Contributor
if the same standard was used across the board as was used as thr critetia for the demise of Anglian Prnicess and the RDA?

Pokerboy

Dev Team
Administrator
Just like to jump in and change the subject ever so slightly, after many of times hearing about cut's and money reduction on major life-line services proposed by our wonderful council's I'd like to suggest they save some £££'s on turning off the lights in public toilets when they have been closed/locked up for the night.

I walk to and from town on a regular basis and most of the time its at the dead of night (4-5am) I've noticed that every public toilet facility in town is glowing like a Christmas tree even though they are locked down and shut, I can only imagine the amount of money the Council or rather the tax payer is loosing by having them left on all day and all night for 365 days a year.

anyone else spotted similar things like this in your area or know of public buildings with lights left on all the time ??

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah funny you should say that pokerboy...I am aware of the Council (now one stop shop) a couple of years ago when they go on there well earned two week Christmas & New Year break, left all of the lights on, which shone over the locked empty car park!
Also Schools are another example as when the last person leaves and locks up, sets the alarm, but leave most if not all of the ground floor lights are on, why, oh its to help out the security firm? no, really why leave all the lights on in the first place! the school is secured by the alarm surely? also I notice several shop windows are left on especially in causewayhead, but that can be due to people window shopping when they walk pass, and the shop owners will be hoping that they visit when the shop is open.?

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Wish I could say that I saw a glowing light... but unfortunately all I see is a dull glaze in the councillors eyes (nobody home) and a red hot expenses claim form ::11:

Top Bottom