Cornwall to get fastest broadband in the world £130m project

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
View attachment 192
broadband across the county.
A new fibre-optic network will be put in place to provide faster connections.
The aim is to give between 80% and 90% of businesses and homes access to fibre broadband by 2014, the project's partners say.
About £78.5m of the funding is to come from BT and £53.5m from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
Download speeds The project, which includes the Isles of Scilly, would see direct fibre optic connections to half of the county's businesses and homes, allowing download speeds of up to 100Mbps (megabytes per second), managers said.
Fibre optic cables would also be aid to all street-side telephone junction boxes to connect the remainder of internet users.
Although it would mean that the last link with those computers would be by existing copper wire connections, it would still allow download speeds of up to 40Mbps, they added.
Cornwall Council leader Alec Robertson said the project had the potential "to transform the local economy over the next 20 years".
He said: "Local businesses will be given an all important head start through early access to world-class communications and this will dramatically increase their competitiveness.
"The high speeds on offer will attract new business investment into Cornwall, creating thousands of new job opportunities."
pencil.png

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Just took a peek at the link. OMG, I trained on this stuff. The concept isn't new but the industry was so slow to take up LAN by electrical circuits. The speed is something almost the same as low end fibre optics and as far as I know there were very few obstacles to overcome.
The fibre optic that is to be offered to us is 200mb download and 200mb upload. So to download a feature film would take about 60 seconds, but that would also depend on whether or not the server you are downloading from can cope with the speed.

I think the reason for the decision to roll out fibre optics of this calibre in Cornwall has come about because Cornwall is known globally as silicone beach! Reason being is that we have the most advanced fibre optic system in the world buried feet beneath our roads and most of us know of a repeater (a manhole cover with NTL printed on it) that is not too far from our homes.

Top Bottom