in a spot

treeve

Major Contributor
Looking for a replacement for my reading lamp.
I had a couple of desk lamps, each were low voltage, but the transformers have decided to blow up. Had them for a couple of years now, also had one of those basic £9 lamps with the dome flood, which decided the thread would cross.
I must have a lamp that does NOT have an energy saving bulb [migraines]. I see nowt but anglepoise lamps and clip on readers.
Any recommendations for a suitable outlet to visit?
It would be good to get one of those Banker's Lamps, that used to be all the rage in offices. Do they still use the old double bayonet tubelights, I wonder (tungsten wire), or can they use halogen sticks?

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
Have you tried Argos? they do a range of lamps, you can look them up online or collect a catolougue.

treeve

Major Contributor
Thanks, I will have a look; my problem is that most lamps get sold without the all important bulb, and imagine my problem having 'opened the box' to discover it's wong type of bulb for me. I have a halogen lamp on the uplighter downstairs, but my study is too dark for reading. :)
------------
the 77 on Argos, they are designed for ambience lighting or are low energy; thanks for the idea .... Supervolt do not do lamps at all. I know Andrewartha have lights, but the only reading lamp they had in there was the one that has just gone, I had that one 'under sufferance' but the light is in my eyes, instead of on the book. Fussy aren't I? Guess I will have to take a trip to Plymouth?

Last edited:

symons55

Staff member
B & Q have a selection of lamps, just up the road from there on the right after the Ford garage there is Denmans and County Electrical, the latter have a lighting section but I don't think they have anything you may like on shoe, but they do have catalogues to browse, it may save a trip tp Plymouth!!

treeve

Major Contributor
Thanks for that [by the way, I have now got that DVD writer out of the PC for you]. I will take a look over there. It would be good to speak with someone who will be able to advise, as well, thanks

symons55

Staff member
No prob. Just back on line properly tonight, the virus I had put paid to my hard drive, but I had since the late 90's. HH has been a diamond and helped me back on line. BIG THANKS TO HH.::15:::15:::15:

Top Bottom