Penzance Proms

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
For the first time the historic port and market town of Penzance holds an annual festival of music and the arts.
With a rich tradition of painting, male voice choirs, folk, classical and rock performances this is a town steeped in history, art and music.
Penzance has the only promenade in Cornwall and magnificent views of St Michael's Mount.
It will be these views of of Mount's Bay that can be had as you 'promenade' to your next show during the festival.
_49470759_39_470x350-1.jpg
Penzance harbour

Concerts have been arranged in the beautiful old church of St Mary's in picturesque Chapel Street, and various other locations in the town, including the fishing port of Newly and the ultra-modern Zennor building on Penwith College campus.
There will be smaller gigs at pubs and clubs so keep "promming around" this charming old town to see what's happening.
The idea is the brainchild of the Economy Group of the Penzance Market and Coastal Towns Initiative and Penzance Chamber of Commerce.
Mike Waters, chairman of the Chamber spoke to The Cornishman, "The principal aim is to extend the length of the tourist season so increasing seasonal employment in the accommodation, retail and hospitality sectors as well as providing something extra for the wider community.
"But there is also a secondary aim - to provide venues for local musical groups where they can gain a wider audience and have the opportunity to line-up with other artists."

BBC news

tabtab13

I think this is a cracking idea and something that could built upon over the coming years so it becomes quite an impressive annual event. And if it does generate extra revenue for the local community, then that's a plus as well.

treeve

Major Contributor
Penzance had an unusual and important annual concert, as well as a Marime festival, what has happened there?

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
I think the prom isn't used as it should be, as for events, well the speed boat race speaks for itself as the promanade was as busy as I had ever seen it! it brought thousands of people in from all over and was an excellent day full of different things to see & do.( & next year is hoping to be another busy event)

the events such as maritime festival is still going/happening as far as I know? the events itself may be hosted by different people organizations, but that said another excellent event as far as I understand.
as for the annual concert this as I also understand it, not enough people supported this event.

The promanade is here and we should use it more!! use it or loose it (as the saying goes!)

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
I think this is a cracking idea and something that could built upon over the coming years so it becomes quite an impressive annual event. And if it does generate extra revenue for the local community, then that's a plus as well.
I have to agree with TT13. I think there is far to little done for the town... we have a superb promenade and it should be supported in this sort of way.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
@sparky the maritime festival no longer comes to Penzance because Penwith District Council stopped the funding, according to Mike Foxly the events organiser.
However, Picture Penzance has been supporting the Golowan Maritime Festival since it started earlier this year. Boats came from all over the world (notably from Breton. Because it was so successful there may be plans to extend the festival.
So more is happening in and around the prom.
As for demolishing the harbour... it aint over till its over!

treeve

Major Contributor
Do you have to to have a brain removal to be included in the list of County Council Executives, or is it a natural attribute.

Top Bottom