The Rain It Raineth

denanmor

Last edited by a moderator:

treeve

Major Contributor
Quick guess is Morrab, but does it not appear in Tiddly om pom pom pom gallery anywhere? Check out the alignment on the OS, which I think is on site. A modern photograph would help you. theTman

denanmor

I've taken a photo in about the same position. See it here. Obviously 'modern' buildings such as the Pavilions (or Amusement Arcade) block the view slightly! Having a look at the map does make me think Morrab House is a real possibility although some artistic license would have had to have been taken!

treeve

Major Contributor
Seems just about right ... on the painting, the Folly House apears, nearside of what is now Sopia's, I believe. There is a photograph in one of the book albums, cannot remember the name at the moment, of Folly House in the process of demolition. It extended along the back of Cornwall Terrace, as far as The Bath (present building); the left edge of the painting shows the 'Pleasure Grounds'. Sophia's is now dated from details of the porch canopy corbels being identified as those designs of Caldwell & Perkins; I added some notes here on site somewhere about that (Mystery Gallery). I have a decent size print of the painting somewhere here in all the paper mountain. There should be a picture in the Promenade set I did, to give a better alignment and dating. I suspect that in view of the artist, there is very little artistic licence taken.

Hi someone recently took aphoto of my wife on the prom saying he was recreating The Rain It Raineth and it would be published in the Cornishman.

Top Bottom