Trade Off Cure

treeve

Major Contributor
Head Cold/basic virus

Just getting a message from Halfhidden, I am prompted to ask just what is YOUR favourite cure? If it is off the shelf medicinal, do you know the risks you take? General Medical Advice is to take time, keep warm and avoid going out.

Myself, I prefer time and rest, with a glass of hot whisky & honey or brandy & honey.

LEMSIP
INGREDIENTS: Paracetamol, sodium lauryl sulphate, croscarmelose sodium, titanium dioxide (E171), quinoline yelow (E104), patent blue V (E131), erythrosin (E127), tartrazine (E102), phenylephrine hydrochloride, magnesium stearate, caffeine, aluminium hydroxide

Here is why I do not take Lemsip.
Taking paracetamol reduces the body's own internal strength to fight off any virus.
The sodium lauryl sulphate merely breaks down the capsule to be digested, BUT it is known to lodge in the heart tissue (and brain) - no one knows the actual effects of this yet in long terms.
Croscarmelose sodium, again assists the breakdown of the capsule, but it has been suggested to be a carcenogenic/teratogenic.
The Es. Here is a cocktail of colours, etc., effects are asthma and skin rashes, altered mind states, hyperactivity, sensitivity to light, learning difficulties, hyperthyroidism (it was proved to cause thryoid cancers in test rats), dermatitis and purpurea.

The nasal decongestant section is the phenylephrine hydrochloride. This vasoconstrictor can lead to high blood pressure, angina and arhythmia, affects the central nervous system causing restlessness.

Magnesium stearate, anti-caking. it is shown to affect kidney function and immune system. So it makes the body more susceptible again to another attack.

Aluminium hydroxide. basically a preservative and stabiliser. Leads to constipation, skin allergy, body loss of calcium and phosphorous (vital to the body), even shown to have links with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

These effects have been recorded officially since 2007.

symons55

Staff member
I already suffer with Al Symons, I agree about the whisky cure, sometimes with honey, and to aid a good nights sleep a liberal dosage of night nurse, if she's not available....................::11:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
@miss P I thought it was women and whisky::11:
Although I have revisited lurgy land once again this month I don't normally suffer colds or flue.
I don't normally suffer from the cold and am happy to wear shorts and T-shirts all year long.
Lately though I seem not to be able to shake off the lurgy and I've turned to Lemsip rather than "Night nurse" because I'm married.
Despite the worrying ingredients, it does work for me for about an hour or so. That said I've also found that simply getting out in the fresh air has similar effects.
Has anyone tried out any old wives tales? Anyone tried garlic rubbed on the chest (No S55 it's not a Kylie fantasy video)

treeve

Major Contributor
All we ever had at home was Friar's Balsam and Famel Syrup, with Beecham's Powders was my thing. I later started on The Night Nurse (Aaow Matronn). I took a lot of Victory V lozenges, but they are now non-medicinal, some problem with codeine, I think. However, once I had found out the truth about Head Colds and standard Virus (perceived by many as being Influenza, which it certainly is not, having had it when I was twelve, there is nothing like it), I simply followed general advice, I prefer the brandy anyway.

symons55

Staff member
What can I say, you all must have a really low opinion of me......::11:::11: but whatever I do seems to work, for a small fee I can let into my inner sanctum::11:::11:

treeve

Major Contributor
Here is a method suggested by member 'Rodway-Barnes'.
At the first symptoms, begin using Vicks First Defence nasal spray.
Increase Vitamin C, diet should include Onion based soups, and cut down on wheats. This lowers the ph value in the nasal cavities which kills off the environment for such viruses as well as reducing mucous generation.

tabtab13

That's a great tip - thanks!

I find a runny nose (or a blocked up nose) is the worst aspect of having a cold.

Top Bottom