Hedge Slammer

Untouchable
3454753900000578-3596506-image-a-14_1463566727046.jpg

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
yep heard about this...although don't think seen the above pic until now :) xx

I have been in the "Shed" in St. Mary's IOS, with the late Frank Gibson as he showed me his glass slide collection handed down from his Photographer Forebears. It was a Visual Historical Feast & I was gobsmacked by the stories of how they braved the elements to get the Shipwreck Photos! Slipping around on treacherous rocks with Donkeys carrying all the Gear. Having to set the Glass Slides right then & there in the midst of the Gales. Stuff of Legend Indeed!

Hedge Slammer

Untouchable
A pretty hardy bunch... I guess that these days they'd just send in a drone from the safety of the nearest carpark. :)

Great news on the collection - it looks to be going to Penlee House, so I'd assume it will be available to the public:

http://www.penleehouse.org.uk/about-penlee/news

Gibson Photographic Archive

Cornish%20Cottage.jpg

Penlee is in the process of purchasing a historic collection of photographs that were due to be sold at auction in Penzance on 16 June 2016. The collection of around 1200 print photographs and 300 glass plate negatives are from the firm of Gibson & Sons which had premises on the Isles of Scilly and in Penzance and date from circa 1870 to 1905.

Gallery Director Louise Connell says,“I am surprised and delighted that the vendor of this historic archive of photographs has offered them Penlee House via private treaty sale. It is the best outcome for heritage in Cornwall: the collection will be professionally catalogued and made accessible in lots of exciting ways, including an exhibition, publication, online and, of course, through education events and activities. With the level of interest that the collection generated, there was a real risk that it would be bought by a private collector.

As a local museum run by the local Town Council in Penzance, we do not have unlimited funds, and there was a strong possibility that we would be outbid. As it is, we have raised the purchase price through the generosity of a number of organisations and individuals, including the Friends of Penlee House, who have all rallied round to help. It is an unexpected delight to be in a position to acquire this important collection, and thank you to the many people who have helped and supported us with our fundraising.

It is important to note that the funding package did not require a contribution from Penzance Town Council – who already contribute financially towards the running of the gallery.”

Top Bottom