Boy 13, found hanged in his bedroom


View attachment 318
A "popular, energetic and fearless" teenage boy accidentally hanged himself in his bedroom to attract attention following an argument with his sister, an inquest heard.
Jesse Stevens, 13, was found by his sister Mia, 12, in his bedroom at their home in Cornwall a few hours after a row about his mobile phone.
Paramedics fought to save Jesse, but he was pronounced dead at Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, the next day.
At the inquest in Truro yesterday Jesse's heartbroken mother Jasmine described the sequence of events leading up to the tragedy on February 22 this year.
Mrs Stevens said the argument started after Mia failed to tell her brother he had missed calls on his phone.
She said: "He had a bit of a scuffle with Mia and I sent him to his room to calm down. He came downstairs for tea and then went back at around 7pm."
Mrs Stevens said the last time she saw her son was around 8pm when she spotted him near the front door with his skateboard and told him he was not allowed out.
She said: "I went upstairs myself to watch TV in my bedroom, then Mia came in at about 9pm and told me that she had found Jesse as she had gone in his room to see him.
"At first I thought she was joking. I couldn't believe it. I tried to resuscitate him and then we called an ambulance."
Mrs Stevens said: "It was just a normal brother and sister argument. I think he did what he did to draw attention to himself just messing around. It just went wrong."
The Year 8 pupil attended Liskeard School and Community College.
Detective Constable Tim Smith said investigations revealed Jesse would on occasions seek attention by pretending he had hurt himself.
He told the hearing: "All the signs are he was a very happy young boy who was out-going with lots of friends. There were no problems at school and he was very popular.
"I spoke to one of his friends who said Jesse would sometimes draw attention to himself by faking he'd hurt himself." The officer said there was no sign of bullying.
Barrie van den Berg, assistant deputy coroner for Cornwall, recorded a verdict of accidental death.
He said: "There is nothing to suggest Jesse seriously intended to harm himself and I am certain he merely wanted to draw attention to himself and something went wrong. It was a tragic accident.
After the hearing Mrs Stevens said: "Jesse has touched so many hearts in his short 13 years and we all feel privileged to have known such a special, amazing young man.
"He was full of life, always very energetic. He will never be forgotten.
Article Western Morning News
Last edited:
Top Bottom