Devon and Cornwall locations 'vital to US security'

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
View attachment 301
Places in Devon and Cornwall are listed among key facilities the US describes as vital to national security, according to the Wikileaks website.
The US State Department in February 2009 asked all US missions abroad to list all installations whose loss could critically affect US national security.
The list includes pipelines, communication and transport hubs.
Among them are: facilities in Plymouth, Devon; as well as sites in Goonhilly Downs and in Bude in Cornwall.
'No precise locations' The US missions were asked to list all installations whose loss could critically impact the public health, economic security or national security of the United States.
In Britain the list ranges from Cornwall to Scotland, including key satellite communications sites and the places where trans-Atlantic cables make landfall.
Facilities owned by BAE Systems in the Southway area of Plymouth are included in the list.
A number of BAE Systems plants are involved in joint weapons programmes with the Americans.
In Cornwall, satellite facilities at Goonhilly Downs are listed. Two undersea cable landings in Bude are also mentioned.
Washington said the information could be used by terrorists but Wikileaks said it had not given any precise locations.

Article BBC

treeve

Major Contributor
As ever .... from 1978, we were reminded on shortwave radio of this, especially that Culdrose was a specific target from early 1978, questions arose of the logic behind this .. and its effect on the aggressor, however it is good to think of such things to remind us of the constant importance in this unstable world :) RBI and Radio Moscow delighted in telling us of the intentions ..

Last edited:

46traveller

I'm pretty sure they are "Key" facilities to us also. But thanks to the BBC everybody who wants to know how to "get back" in someway at the good old USA, now has a better idea of where to look!!! Cheers for that..........

BayOfPlenty

'Communications facilities are important'; what next - ursine creatures believed to defecate in arboreal areas? duh

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Here's my two pence worth.
Ever wondered why Cornwall has one of the highest rates of unemployment in the country?
Ever wondered why it is so expensive to live in Cornwall?
Ever wondered why property is so expensive in Cornwall?
Ever wondered why the wages in Cornwall are amongst the lowest in the land?
Ever wondered why government expenditure for Cornwall is amongst the lowest in the land?
Ever wondered why Cornwall has one of the worst public infrastructures for major roads and public transport?

If you were looking to move to Cornwall and considered the points above... would you move here?
Cornwall is populated with a little more that half a million people. Penzance & Newlyn being one of the most populated. Yet Wales is roughly the same size as Cornwall and has a population over 3 million.
So could it be that the powers to be want Cornwall to be expensive, under funded and under populated. It would make sense if Cornwall was more of a military bunker than we have ever thought. Think about it for a moment. If you were to target this country with nuclear missiles wouldn't you target heavily populated area's. After all your objective would be to cripple the infrastructure of the country and destroy military targets. So what better plan would there be than to place a good deal of military might in Cornwall. Keep the investment from central government low and prices high to discourage people from taking up residence and also encourage residents to settle else where. The less population Cornwall has the better chance there is of getting away from it all.

Just a thought.

treeve

Major Contributor
as do many, this has been planned for years, obviously centuries in fact, since Charles I. Beware Ye Bombe :)

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Glad to see that the only criticism of my theory is the size of the land Bop.
Perhaps I never made myself clear enough... I was talking land person ration... not sheep lol

Top Bottom