A Useful Tip

Planet Penwith

Super User
This is probably something everyone does on this site anyway so I will apologise if its a "teaching granny to suck eggs" thing....::1:

Never delete any photographs from your SD (etc) cards while out and about...not until you've had a good look at them on the computer. You may be able to save them with software or at least try and do something with them.

Last edited:

treeve

Major Contributor
There is an even stronger reason to leave them there; pictures are not stored in even chunks/blocks of memory. If a picture is deleted, the next picture taken will often be larger in memory, so some cameras split the block and the picture is in two pieces. Constantly deleting can lead to a confusion of memory, leading to loss and even card read failure. With a larger card, the risks are lessened; But there are more pictures capable of being lost if something does go wrong. I stick to 1Gb, but each to their own.

Planet Penwith

Super User
Yes you're right Treeve, thanks for that input :eek:). As for storage capacity, I have 2Gb SD's...mainly for the reason you mentioned and another one is cost (well, for me it is).

ChrisTru

All-powerful
Hi PP, i agree some of the prices of the cards i still see are ridiculous, but you can get great deals on such as ebay, you can get a 4GB for £5, 8GB for about £7, and even a 32GB for about £20, but as you and Treeve said, it depends on what you want.
As for your other point about doing something with your pics if you're not happy with them, some of the photo programmes available now are amazing, for me digital photography is not the best thing since sliced bread, i think it's better than the bread itself :)

Last edited:

Planet Penwith

Super User
Hi PP, i agree some of the prices of the cards i still see are ridiculous, but you can get great deals on such as ebay, you can get a 4GB for £5, 8GB for about £7, and even a 32GB for about £20, but as you and Treeve said, it depends on what you want.
As for your other point about doing something with your pics if you're not happy with them, some of the photo programmes available now are amazing, for me digital photography is not the best thing since sliced bread, i think it's better than the bread itself :)

Yeah, I agree the cards are getting a lot cheaper. I will upgrade my SD cards to 2 x 8Gb extreme pro 30Mbs or the 45Mbs when I get my new camera. The higher read/write capacity may help with my frame rate.

My back screen is only used to gauge the histogram and sharpness, so I get them on the comp screen to see whether I can use the images. Of course that's only the way I do it, others have their own techniques and habits. I've been taking pics since 2007 and have a lot to learn, but I'll get there...........eventually (like British Rail)

I too believe photography is better than the bread :) You have some cracking shots there Chris

Top Bottom