Army accommodation Ponsandane

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Can anyone help?
I was asked some time ago if I knew of the army accommodation located on Ponsendane field. I'm not entirely sure it was exclusively for the army personal families or perhaps it was sheltered accommodation?
Either way these were constructed of wood and were there for many years.
Any stories, pictures or links would be great

treeve

Major Contributor
Triggered memory. There WERE some Nissen Huts near the site of the shoe factory (Finns), allocated for the "undesirables" of Penzance, my father always ensured that we kept a "safe distance". These covered those who would not pay their rent or had a severe issue with society (as determined by the Council).

Perhaps consultation with the earlier members of anyone connected with Penzance Borough may be able to point you in the right direction?

Last edited:

welb1931

They were erected to house ladies of the Womens Land Army at first and later housed families awaiting council houses
these were wooden huts situated just to the east of the river...

welb1931

I believe they were there in the early 60's - Finns went up on the other side of the river as I remember

treeve

Major Contributor
People who were stable parts of my life are no longer with us, Mr Cogan, Peter Tresidder, et al. However despite this I am sure that records have been kept by the authority, The Town and Country Planning Act 1947, in whatever records being kept at local level or CRO. Whilst surveying the curb marks in Penzance I was approached by a good lady from Penzance Borough, it was she that put me on to the fact that there are "similar" marks in Truro, which I have now photographed. I have a number of papers and I intend to get them transcribed. I note that in my research over the years that CRO has an excellent collection from early years of Penzance, I was and still am interested in the first water supply in Penzance, of which I have photographic record (as copied to a member of Picture Penzance). We have witnessed a change in 1974, but important records will always be kept.

Top Bottom