Garage on Chyandour Cliff

I believe that Ruberry's (?) garage was on the site of the former Shell filling station on Chyandour Cliff opposite the railway station. Does anyone have any photos or can provide information about Ruberry's please.

Many thanks.

OldCodger

treeve

Major Contributor
A question with purpose, sorry but I have never heard of a previous owner for this position, what "sort of date"? I have "memories" of those at Long Rock, but Ruberry's, not. :)

symons55

Staff member
I remember the garage in the 60's, and the pump attendant at the time was the father of a friend of mine he was called Mr Foulkes, he had a flat cap and long brown storemans coat, he would serve the petrol/oil etc, no such thing as self service!!

Thank you Treeve and symons55 for your replies. It was indeed a question with a purpose. The model railway group I belong to is building a layout called St Ruth. It is very heavily based on Penzance as it was in the 1960's but with several differences, For this reason we dare not call the layout "Penzance" !!

Thanks to Treeve and others supplying excellent photographs of the station and its surroundings we have been able to progress construction to the point where we are able to concentrate on the buildings along Chyandour Cliff. Although our informant could, of course, be totally wrong, we have been told that Ruberry's Garage existed between the two wars and was demolished at some point during the 1960's. The garage would therefore fit into our timescale. Hence the trawl for info and photos.

I am attaching two images of one of the models made by a member (not me!). Remember it is to the scale of 2mm = 1 foot. I am sure I don't need to tell you its location !

Old Codger
Red Lion1.jpgRed Lion2.jpg

treeve

Major Contributor
So good to have been of help to the group. My brother (chuffchough) has a vital interest which motivated me to get weaving. The modelling is excellent. :)

fleagle

I have just looked in "Daily Doings in Penzance" Summer 1963 and there is an advert for Ruberry's Garage Ltd. Penzance 3334. Nuffield MORRIS Agents, Apointed LUCAS stockists. All motor repairs and service. Self Drive hire cars available. Agents for JOHNSON, MERCURY, BRITISH SEAGULL AND ROOTES, outboard motors.
However, it does not give an address.

Thank you Fleagle. All donations very gratefully received !!! Where did you find the copy of the "Daily Doings" please ?
OldCodger

fleagle

I have a couple of Daily Doings. I've had them for a few years but can't remember where I bought them. Possibly bought them when Diane Richards had 'The Old Post Office' in Chapel Street. My favourites are the Kellys Directories which I use to buy from Bernard in New Steet. His prices were always reasonable. Hope your model goes well. I enjoy model railway layouts especially the dioramas

Fleagle,
I'm sorry for the tardy response but I have been away for a short while. Many thanks for the further information about the Daily Doings. I'll see what I can dig up from the lead you have given me.
Regards, OldCodger

That's interesting. If the Mr Foulkes Symons55 referred to was Harry, then I knew him and his sons well, as I lived near them. I was a friend of his younger son, Reggie, but also knew Alec. Since leaving for Australia many moons ago, I have lost contact. Do you know if Reggie is still around Penzance?

symons55

Staff member
I don't know about Reggie but Alec is still around and lives in Treassowe Road in Pz with his wife, whom altho has been very ill has improved over the last 3-4 years. I see Alec from time to time and when I do I'll try and remember to ask him about Reggie for you.

Top Bottom