Jazz and other Stuff

treeve

Major Contributor
Club Django-PZ

Club Django-PZ is a club for musicians and enthusiasts of Gypsy Jazz and the music of Django Reinhardt.

The club was started in September 2005 and has gone from strength to strength.

On Club night we have anything from 8 to 15/17 musicians playing.

With that amount of people playing together we will never get musical perfection - BUT - we have a lot of fun trying!

Doug Linaker

symons55

Staff member
I remember when I first took an interest in jazz. It was actually at the Barn Club, in those days when the Stargazer first opened, there was a resident trio, this was made up of Mervyn Charlseton on drums, Dave Freeman on bass and Phill King on piano. They played all typed of music but their favorite was Jazz.. I became friends with all three. Dave eventually became resident bass player with the Viv rod Trio at the Talk of the west and many times I went up with him and saw many artists. Mervyn stayed around here playing clubs etc. In fact he stood in for our drummer a couple of times. Phill carried on playing and became known as Cornwalls Oscar Peterson, I worked with Phill as electrician for a few years, he also played with our band once. Mervyn retired but Dave and Phill are both still working. Returning to the Barn Club, I remember what turned out to be a very important rehersal. A young lady wanted to sing, so in the afternoon I was there when Phill went thro some no's and in the eve she sang in the Stargazer, You could say I saw the birth of a very well known and respected Jazz singer. Tha young Lady was Chris Gayle. I love jazz but never actually played a lot of it, I ended up in the pop/blues barrell, but have had many happy years and met musicians from all generas of music.

Last edited:

bear

Pz Jazz

The first time I went to a jazz night was in the cellar under the Railway Hotel (mid 70s I guess) and Phil king was playing with his band, and Kris Gayle was singing. My friend was a good sax player, and asked if we could jam, and there was no problem. So I strummed an old six string Eros, and he did his thing with the sax. We gave false names (I don't know why, but he thought it was a good idea) so I really surprised when Phil introduced the band, and included me in the line up. I had too do my stuff ( which wasn't much) , but after I had a real round of applause ( my first ever). When I left that night I felt appreciated, and was walking on air. It cost them so little, but it meant so much.

symons55

Staff member
As you probably know Chris is still going, but Phill is still playing in hotels in the Falmouth area, I keep saying I must go and see him again before time passes by, he did a lot in pushing me to fulfill my interest in music, and in so doing became a good friend.

treeve

Major Contributor
Just arrived - 2 CDs - Guitar Rarities - 46 stunning pieces from 1933-1945. Ivor Mairants, Carl Kress, Harry Volpe, Albert Harris .......

treeve

Major Contributor
Two MAJOR events.

Original Rock, from the top man himself.
The Acorn Arts Centre Penzance.
Friday 30th April 2010 at 20.30.
Albert Lee & Hogan's Heroes.

An Experience that will change the way you feel about music.
It will BLOW you away.
Hall for Cornwall Truro. 9th March 2010. 1930.
Kodo
http://www.kodo.or.jp/news/index_en.html

My ticket is booked .....​

treeve

Major Contributor
Evan Christopher's Django a la Creole
Some confirmed concerts .....
NEW ALBUM OUT IN JULY...! All news on the new Facebook page Django a la Creole | Facebook
Youtube channel YouTube - davekelbie's Channel
------------------------------
'Evan is, in my estimation, not only the greatest jazz clarinetist alive, but one of the greatest of all time' AHMET ERTEGUN, FOUNDING CHAIRMAN OF ATLANTIC RECORDS
'in the history of jazz, he will be amidst the greatest of all times' JAZZ CLASSIQUE
'A forthright sound and a hungry energy' NEW YORK TIMES (USA)
'A warm creamy sound and remarkably cohesive and constant swing' - JAZZMAN (Fr)
timeless stuff - THE SUNDAY TIMES (UK)
enchanting - THE SUNDAY OBSERVER (UK)
exuberant and passionate - THE SCOTSMAN (UK)

lejazzetal.com: tour productions

symons55

Staff member
Didn't get around to getting a ticket for Albert Lee, but might still pop in to see if there are any spares.

ibrowze

Albert Lee

was voted top country guitarist in a top guitar magazine six years on the trot. I was fortunate enough to be the sound engineer at a gig he did in Coventry back in 1990 or 91. In September 2003 when I had just become a self employed musician I went to the Acorn to see if anyone had listened to a recent CD I'd made in the hope of getting to perform there. I was told by the woman in the box office that no one would come to see me play because they already see me busking ! Yeh, like I'd sing Zippedi Do Dah to a sophisticated audience of live music fans.
Anyhow she directed me to search through two piles of CDs so I could retrieve my album. While I was searching through the CDs I couldn't believe my eyes when I found two CDs by Albert Lee and Hogan's Heroes so as my heart soared like a rocket I asked her in anticipation when Albert was going to be performing only to be told "I listened to the CD and didn't like it" !!!!
Well at last it seems somehow the wheel has turned and the great man will appear. I just wonder if there are any other class acts that have been denied to the Penzance audience due to this kind of shortsighted ignorance.

symons55

Staff member
That is the problem with some establishments, it's quite often down to one persons taste instaed of putting it before a panel.

treeve

Major Contributor
Lose some; win some ....
Delighted to find a DVD of Emerson, Lake and Palmer live at The Royal Albert Hall at last, only to play it and discover it is not the concert that I remember ... the one that I remember was with a symphony orchestra and with actors. London Symphony Orchestra/London Philharmonic? The performance was electric ... the one I now have is accomplished, but, electric, no. Any Ideas, please, anyone?

I had been searching for years for the LP/CD of Daddy Ya Ya and the Junk Band, being a totally spaced out series of VooDoo based music, somewhere in the far out wastelands of spiritualistic Hawkwind meets Mountain over a cool spliff.
Finally found it today, under its new name Exuma. That music is totally off this planet. Obeah Man, Dambala and Mama Loi - Papa Loi takes the mind to places normally reserved for Shamen ....

treeve

Major Contributor
Анжеліка Рудницька - Anjelika Rudnitska, from 1995 or so whatever you think of her as a singer was one of the major forces in music and a defiant constructive determination for freedom in The
Ukraine; it was forbidden to speak or sing in the language of their country. Despite this she sang
in Ukrainian fully aware that she may be placed under political arrest and even to the point of
execution, following others ... she had such a following from the public .... through this she
became a diplomat and ambassador and is now a foremost TV anchor, through her fight began a freedom for the Ukrainian people and the careers of Iryna Bilyk and Ani Lorak ... with Anjelika they form a major part of my music collection (having followed the story since 1996 through Ukrainian sources).

treeve

Major Contributor
now listening to one of the most daring combo for its time ... way beyond Spike Jones and before the advent of Emerson Lake and Palmer ..... Amazing power and vitality of Sounds Incorporated; as soon as William Tell enters you know what is coming with the most accomplished and talented musicians ... real punch ...

treeve

Major Contributor
Wishbone Ash is just as life changing and moods from the bell like tone of guitar to heavy rock announcing that that I need to re-arrange my life (very apposite) with the record sleeve to inspire the fighting spirit.

treeve

Major Contributor
any anoraks out there? Only way to play Sabre Dance is loud( as far as possible ) original or Love Sculpture - a masterpice of virtuoso and technique ... my question .. I know that Dave Edmunds but who else in in the band?

Last edited:

treeve

Major Contributor
Skazany na Bluesa

[Destined for Blues], a film about one of the giants of the modern music scene; so lucky to have seen it in Warsaw a couple of years ago, nothing short of electric perfomances about the troubled performer and his demise. I would so very much like this, as the actors and the music are the very peak. Dzem are amazing - it comes from the soul; Autsajder [outsider] ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mSIUTyT-CQ
Ryszard can never be replaced, or bettered
Blues Rock at its very best

Last edited:

treeve

Major Contributor
Cold and raining, never mind, put on a record of my guitar hero Eddie Lang and sit down in my chair sipping a mushroom and madiera soup ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom