Mystery location in St. Ives

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not sure its St Ives?... believe 1913 and taken in Newlyn.... HH seems confident that this is in Newlyn? (please dont string me up if its not! lol) xx trying to be helpful x was doing a smiley face at the end but it didnt work... sad face x

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
pay what?? LOL!!!! well...now I've clicked reply I cant see what you said? lol omg have to get this sorted... laughy face and all smiles x

46traveller

Looks like Porthmeor end of The Digey to me, next time I'm in town I'll have a look, but pretty sure that's where it is.

46traveller

Well pretty sure the outlook at Fore Street end should have continual frontage not just a plain brick wall, and definately not a chimney on the side. In town Saturday I'll take a geek.

penzancesailor

The house with steps may be 75 Back Road East; looking towards the Island Road/Island Square area, past nos 73, 71, 69, etc.

46traveller

I can just see the Google Street view team getting their camera laden truck jammed in solid in the Digey. Now that I would like to witness, even better if they tried to back out. LoL

oldpenwithian

Thanks for the suggestions - I think I know where you're talking about. I looked at Google Street View and see what you mean. Ages ago I checked out my own location on Street View and there I was, walking down my drive, in T-shirt and shorts - not a pretty sight !!

duffy

Look at the two images I have downloaded from Google Street view. I am sure that the first is looking up the same street from the opposite side, the other is of the end building from the same direction, look at the detail of the walls and roof. I just put up another pic of the black stones on the gable end of the building though it is hard to see in the original picture, the GSV one shows identical stones next or near to the window on that wall.

Last edited:

duffy

Thanks OPW, I wonder if anyone in "'Haketown" is going to take a picture from the same angle as it is now??

treeve

Major Contributor
walling

Curious to note that brickwork appears to have been changed to granite walling from this photo? (in 1913) :)

oldpenwithian

Mystery Solved

46traveller and duffy were spot on - this is the Porthmeor end of the Digey. Had to go to St. Ives this morning (early) and took my camera with me. I've uploaded the original image and mine for comparison. Mine is not taken from exactly the same spot as the original photographer and with a wide angle rather than a zoom lens and in landscape rather than portrait - but there's no doubt about the location.

Top Bottom