Search for wartime family

Hi,
I am conducting a search on behalf of a wartime veteran who was billeted in Penzance for the Ducker family who then lived at Wherrytown. The father was a fisherman at Newlyn and the teenage daughter was called Joyce.
DSCF0955.jpg
This is a photo of the family taken in Penzance at a family wedding in late 1943 or early 1944. I would be grateful if any relatives or descendants could get in touch.

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
was wondering can anyone help? (as I personally wasnt around then, and I cannot help in this thread, but hoping that someone reading this may be able to)::15:

penzancesailor

Looks like the wedding took place in the chapel in Alexandra Road, Mennaye Road in background. No infoon that family, I'm afraid.

treeve

Major Contributor
can be widened

Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse/Age District Vol Page
--------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1944
DUCKER Alice E H Taylor Penzance 5c 414
Marriages Sep 1949
Ducker William J D Puddefoot Penzance 7a 282
Ducker William J D Baker Penzance 7a 282
Marriages Mar 1950
Ducker Evelyn J Tonkin Penzance 7a 180
Births Sep 1950
Ducker David G B Puddefoot Penzance 7a 81

From BMD

treeve

Major Contributor
from earlier

Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse/Age District Vol Page
Births Mar 1931
-------------------------------------------------------------
Ducker Mavis D Harvey Penzance 5c 274
Births Mar 1933
DUCKER Raymond Harvey Penzance 5c 255
Births Sep 1936
DUCKER Brian C Harvey Penzance 5c 234

Thanks

Penzancesailor - many thanks for the location. I have had a look on Google Earth and must congratulate you on your eagle eye.

Treeve - many thanks for the names. It's possible one or some of those are related. The Dec 1944 wedding seems a little late as my serviceman was posted to Italy after D-Day and he's in the back of the wedding group, so there must have been another wedding earlier in the year.

treeve

Major Contributor
The point is just what criteria do you have, what sources have you explored, what geographic locations are certainty, the time scale is vast.

The Ducker family lived in a cottage on the seaward side of what is now Western Promenade Road. Their home was opposite the pub which is now the Baba one of the few remaining buildings still there from 1943-44. The church where the wedding took place is just round the corner from where they lived in Alexandra Road.

treeve

Major Contributor
Curious as to why the BMD is silent as to the Methodist Events for the Connexion Church; Census records would not be available for those years, yet - the houses do not exist, that was was why I asked as to any other geographical connection, have you been in touch with Truro? - County Records Office - they are extremely helpful, as I have always found.

Last edited:
Top Bottom