Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
The wreck of the North Britain (stuck aground Mounts Bay 6 December 1868)

These memories were written by an unidentified Newspaper correspondent about his childhood memories of ship wrecks and the town of Penzance.

I well remember seeing the vessel in the offing about two o'clock that Sunday afternoon. I think she was beating for the tide. I did not expect at that time she would make the harbour, but fully expected her to ashore, which she did. I distinctly recollect the Richard Lewis being launched, and her second journey to the rescue. Young Mr. Sam Higgs called out "A volunteer worth 10 pressed men: who will man the lifeboat? " Stepping forward himself, he had crew immediately, and once more was on the errand of mercy and rescue. In the meantime, a boat had been launched from the vessel, but had capsized close on shore and was soon washed high and dry. and two men were found underneath and were resuscitated. I remember Mr. Blackmore a fine type of man, who was a worthy successor to Capt. Peyton, also a fine type of a naval officer. I forget the name of the lifeboat which was the predecessor of the Richard Lewis, but it was kept the back of Mr. Maxwell's stores, opposite the entrance to the old Railway station, and a very good spot too, as all the wrecks were on the Eastern Green, and not in the shelter of Newlyn Bay.

The carriage of this boat broke down on the way to Long Rock, whilst on its way the rescue of the crew of the John Gray, vessel laden with rum. sugar and cocoa nuts (I remember those nuts). I believe five or six vessels went ashore that night.

I think when their present Majesties visited Penzance and opened the Alexandra Road, there was a procession of eight lifeboats. That was a great day for the town.

There was a wreck on one occasion at Ponsandane, vessel called the Tobago, which was eventually purchased Mr. Eastaway, re-floated, and towed to Mr. Mathews' dock and repaired, and was relaunched the Nil Desperandum. with what better luck I forget.

The Schiller was also wrecked off the Scillies about 1874, when several bodies were washed ashore at Penzance, and a great number brought in. These wrecks caused a deal of excitement to the youths at the time, and we had plenty of opportunities for excitement.

The Corpus Christi fair was held where the Public Buildings now stand. Weight's Standard Theatre was the show; Mr. Geo. Sanders, clown; Mr. Mortimer, the villain of the piece; Mr. Weight, the heavy tragedian: all for 3d., including "Hamlet" and a most laughable farce.

Then Midsummer Eve fireworks (which we were busy making for three weeks previously); a boat on fire in the Green Market; tar barrels up and down the streets; torches swung round the boys' heads, and the band played on the top of the porch at the entrance of the Three Tuns Hotel, in the Green Market. There were some good sports in those days. Marshall and Nicholas Bromley. Fred. Ash, John Reed, and Douglas Corin. No Bruce's act in those days. Public houses open all night. I remember a placard I once got out: Keep up the old custom with spirit boys"; and we did. J. and T. Branwell were enthusiastic pyrotechnists. Marshall Bromley was good horseman, and rode at nearly all the flipping meetings round the neighbourhood. Zennor. Townsend, St. Buryan, and there was once a race meeting on the Eastern Green. These were good fun and we enjoyed ourselves. Nobody got killed and all ended well.

Foot note. Bruces act was the first parliamentary alcohol licensing act to be brought in for the sale and consumption of alcohol 1872

Top Bottom