So who likes gardening?

tabtab13

I'm sorry to hear that missp - and CW too.

But as you said, her last five months were in freedom, so you made a very big (and positive) difference to the bird's life.

It's never easy when an animal you care for dies - something I know only too well.

missp

Latest update, the girls are happier with the daylight hours and are giving 4/5 eggs daily out of seven girls. I think the two I adopted are just lodgers as they are coming up to 4/5 years old and probably past laying, however they are enjoying life which suits me fine as I just love having them. They have done a good job over the winter on the veg patch, kept the weeds at bay and nourished it with their `poo`, and have now moved them to their `summer patch`.Hopefully CWs back will be better soon and we can plant the veg. Anyone willing to dig it over for us? We are willing to pay, as I am in St Michaels next week for an op on my knee and am reluctant to make things worse.
Anyone willing, Pm CW or myself::1:

tabtab13

Ouch! Having had two incidents of ruptured discs at the base of my spine, I know how painful backache can be be.

Might be an idea for CW to keep moderately active. Hopefully it's not a disc problem, but when my back went the first time, I rested a lot, thinking I didn't want to damage it anymore, but it all got worse. Second time a few years later, the doc said try and keep mobile else everything will seize up.

Though as I don't know exactly what's wrong with CW's back, please don't take my advice as gospel!

Hope he's on the mend soon.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Wow! I've been lucky I guess. I've twisted my back whilst lifting and have been suffering from it for years... but nothing really that bad.
Perhaps I'm lucky enough to have such a short spine that there is less to go wrong ::11:

treeve

Major Contributor
If you had a close and dear friend, someone you could really trust to give you sound advice, knowing that you may not want to hear it but knows that you will accept it because they really care about you. Well you have that friend in your own body ... it is called pain. With the exception of certain bone damage and a few other cases, carry on as 'normal as you are able' if it hurts you are being told not to do that particular manoeuvre. Kill the pain with tablets etc, and you are gagging your friend. Flat on the back stretching and simple rotational exercises, yes, but twenty minutes at most. Plenty of cushions and support when sitting, but for 43 years, grin through it has been my motto. Three sets of displaced discs and a ball of arthritis on the centre one. When I told my doctor all those years ago of my decision not to take painkillers, his remark was 'it is the best thing you can do, depends if you can cope with the pain'.

tabtab13

In my case, it finally sorted itself out over time. Prescribed painkillers gave some relief in the initial stages. I had traction and that didn't work and neither did acupuncture. The physio was at a bit of a loss and murmurs of an operation were mentioned, and to be honest, I wasn't keen on that.

These days, it's pretty much ok, I'm just careful when I lift things or do anything that puts pressure on the area. I get the odd twinge and for some reason it's left me with a slight limp that's never gone away.

If you ever get backache combined with pain or a tightening feel down the back of one of your legs, that's usually a sign something's up with a disc and it's trapping a nerve.

tabtab13

Totally agree treeve - I resorted to the painkillers as I was desperate for some relief as the pain was so intense, it almost drove me nuts and I was literally doubled over when I tried to walk. Those few hours of relief while the tablets were working were bliss. Plus they were heavily codeine based and they 'bunged' me up so in effect, taking them to solve one problem only led on to causing another one.

tabtab13

Plants on sale

Just in case anyone is interested, there are a number of people selling plants at the car boot sale in the Pirates Rugby Ground car park on Thursdays from 12.00 onwards. There's still time to get some tomato plants - and I also saw some runner beans, courgettes, peppers and pumpkins too! And of course, there are flowering plants there as well.

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
Tomato plants...does anyone want any??
I think there a few going spare but would have to make sure they are still available.
please message me if you are interested in having any. Thanks
Ps Tabtab13 my mum would be interested in the flowering plants, will have to take her there, she loves her car boots and dearly misses the Pirates car boot !! ( be next week now )

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
just a follow up to my previous thread, yes there are 6 FREE tomato plants going if anyone is interested in having any, please message me if you are interested Thanks.

tabtab13

Well, it's coming up to that time in the year again - getting some preparation sorted out and planning what to do with the garden this year. Bulbs are coming up, new growth appearing on bushes, shrubs and trees - life slowly returns. Roll on Spring - I can't wait!

Hopefully the Car Boot in the Pirates car park (bottom of Alexandra Rd) will start again and around April-ish they'll be flowering plants and veg plants on sale as there was last year. Well worth a visit if you're not sure about buying seeds yourself - or leave it too late! Just one tomato plant in a pot in a small, sunny area is all you need to get a good few toms from it - especially if you go for the cherry variety. And sound economics too - especially as times are hard at the moment and everyone (apart from Bankers!) are feeling the pinch.

CHILLYWILLY

I will be putting the chickens onto the vegetable patch this weekend if it stays dry. Not only will they tear out any existing weeds but they will provide a natural fertiliser and scrape it into the eatrh as well. We had an excellent return of vegetables last year and hope for the same again.

msp14

We have made the space for the greenhouse and just need some slabs for the base.
I have just planted a red Gooseberry bush and have got a thornless blackberry bush.

msp14

Yesterday(Tuesday) i emptied my composter and found i had enough compost to do my entire garden.
I am going to try growing potatoes in tubs this year, so i have filled 2 large flower pots with homemade compost and i am just waiting for the seed potatoes to sprout.
I will also be growing peas.
When we get a decent spell of warm/dry weather i will sort out the greenhouse.

tabtab13

We have two toads living in the bottom of our compost bin (!) - it's one that has a flap at the bottom. The compost got pretty compressed so when I scooped some out from the bottom at the end of the summer, the rest didn't sink down so a hole was left. I guess they found it and decided to over winter in there. Just need to remember that they are there before pushing down from the top - or when I tip the whole lot out, turn it over and then put it back again!

Got started last Sunday on tidying up the garden so it's looking better after being pretty well left alone over winter and it's a lovely day today as well. And I feel that it's staying lighter a bit longer at the end of the afternoons too.

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
Toads, bet they are snug as a bug in a rug, (ahem dont know where that came from)
looks like we are all looking forward to some better/sun shining weather! we all deserve a good summer this year

Top Bottom